Sunday, August 23, 2009

Can you say "Awkward?"??

Today, I did Coffee at church. I love doing coffee because people have to come to me and talk to me, and it is an easy exchange with the starting topic of... coffee. Anyway, it is about the only time I feel plugged in to church. But something happened today that was way out there in my book. This guy, Frank, is sort of a d0-it-all maintenance guy, came over to talk to me, and basically harass me for being late. This is a regular occurrence, because it is usually he who gets the coffee started because I am late getting there most of the time. Usually it is just a little banter then it is over, I move on to talking to others & making coffee. Today was different. He hovered today, kept coming back over to talk to me. He asked more than once of he could help me, but I really don't need another person in there, it's a tight squeeze as it is. Plus I am faster on my own. So, I politely decline each time. Then he asks me if I am a Facebook or My Space person. I tell him Fb. He asks if he can be my friend on Fb. I said sure! He said, you know I should get your number, I didn't think anything of it at first, so I gave t to him, thinking that I really do need some friends. Then he asked what things I like to do. Next, he says we should hang out sometime. I'm like, sure.... Ok, I really thought he was married this whole time I have been coming here. I knew he has 2 kids, and I thought I saw a woman with him before, but I guess I don't know anything for sure. So, the next time he came around, I checked for a ring, and was dismayed to not see one. He kept saying things like, so you think it is a good idea if we do something sometime? It started to dawn on me that he isn't looking for a "friend", he wants to date. So, about the third time he asked if I thought it was a good idea we hang out, I made myself say something. I do NOT want to lead anyone on, and you can probably guess I wasn't loving this attention from him. I said, what are you looking for, because I am just looking for friends right now. VERY awkward to say the least. He said, well yeah friends then we see what happens. He got pulled away then, and I slipped out of church as fast as I could. He called me on my way home, and apologized if he freaked me out, and said I could call him sometime. Now what am I suppose to do? I wanted to be connected at church, but this wasn't part of the plan. He is very much a part of things at church, and is at everything. This doesn't help my current feelings about going to church right now. What do I say to him??

4 comments:

bobbione8y said...

oh boy. been there, done that.

i think i would be honest, tell him you don't wish to date him, but you hope that you can both respect boundaries and share church respectfully, and leave it at that.

i hate when people use church for their match.com....! but don't let it be your excuse for not going to church, it could be that the enemy is just trying to get you to turn away....

speaking of, i have a blog post on turning away coming up....

Chris said...

My first thought was, I can't come here to church anymore, it's going to be weird, and it is already uncomfortable as it is for me. Maybe this is my push to start looking for another church. I did talk to him, but it was even more awkward than earlier today. I told him I wasn't looking for relationship right now, just friends. I know I didn't say it right, and I fumbled through it. Ugg.

carey said...

gotta be honest. i hate stuff like that SO MUCH that i would go find a new church. besides, it kinda sounds like you need one anyway...

Chris said...

Yeah, I have felt for a while that it is time to move on. I tried one church a while back, but it was a no. I am going to give one a try again that I tried a year ago. I keep hearing great things, but I think I went during an off service. So, we will see.