Monday, February 16, 2009


Story about my mommy.


I know that some of you saw the prayer request that Karen put out for me about my mom. Thank you for all the prayers. I have been praying for my mom for a loooooonnnnggggggggg time, and I think I just need more help. My mom is such a good person, but during most of her life, she has not believed in herself or loved herself. She gave up on God, I think, a long time ago. My theory is that because of what has happened in her life, especially with relationships and how hard it was to raise us kids alone, she doesn't think that God has ever been there for her. She has suffered from depression, I think her entire life. She is really shy and introverted, which makes it really hard to form good friendships. Despite being smart, strong, and courageous in many ways, she has always been extremely down on herself. She does not normally fight for what she deserves or wants. She has made a habit of sacrificing herself for others or to avoid. My mom has worked so hard her whole life, but despite that doesn't really believe that she deserves to be happy or deserves everything she has worked for and more. Right now she is feeling very disenchanted with her job. She has given 20 years to a bank that works her extremely hard, but has never made the effort to pay her what she deserves. She won't ask or demand what she deserves, instead believes the worst. That she must not be worth what she should be. She really thinks that they don't value her work ethic and that she must not be doing a good job. My theory is that they know she won't ask or demand what she deserves, so they go on under paying her and asking more and more of her. She is afraid to even start to look for another job because of her age, why would anyone hire her so close to retirement in their eyes? And no amount of trying to boost her up helps. I tried to witness to her, I really did. I have been planting seeds for a long time now, but she only listens respectfully. I know she isn't buying it. I guess I am getting so tired of praying the same thing for her, and nothing happens. Years and years of praying. All I want is for God to get himself into her heart and hold on. I want her to let him in. So, now I need more prayer help please. I want, for once in my life and hers, for her to be truly happy.....and to know that she deserves it.

7 comments:

cherk said...

Your mommy story is very touching. I think you are doing the best you can-just being supportive-even though we want to do more

carey said...

i need to think about this one, but in the meantime, i will pray for your mom. and i will get back to you on my other thoughts ;)

Chris said...

Hmmm, ready to hear the "other" thoughts. Thanks for the prayers:)

Karen said...

Good grief, woman. Get offa Facebook and give us something to read!

Aspiring Farm Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aspiring Farm Girl said...

Hey Chris- would your mom be willing to do a Bible study with you? I just finished the Beth Moore "Believing God" Bible study and loved it. I have an extra book I can give to you in April. It does a great job when it comes to why God answers some prayers and not others. In the meantime, I will be praying for her, and for you, in wisdom, when speaking with her.

Chris said...

Kris, I am not so sure she would. She doesn't even read the bible I gave her. I could ask her though. Even if she doesn't though, I would love to read the Beth Moore Study. I have a heard a lot about that one.