Sunday, November 19, 2006

The power of prayer.

Sometimes, ok often, I forget how powerful prayer can be. We all know that many times God is answering, but it isn't the answer we want quite often. But when what you have been praying for actually happens.....it's nothing short of amazing. I have been praying for my mom & brother for years. I really started praying hard for my brother in college. I have always prayed for my mom, but more so in recent years. Back in college, Brook was nearing the bottom of the rock. Ok, so he found the rock at the bottom! My brother has really work his way up from there. He is almost finished with an Engineering Degree from the School of Mines. He will graduate this Spring!! We were afraid he would never go to college, but thank God, he did! Brook has accepted a job in Boise, Idaho!!! He also gets married to a great girl, Allison in June! I am so proud of my baby brother, he really has come along way. As for my mom, sometimes I think that my mom believes that she isn't suppose to receive good things. She has had a lot of disappointments in life, and it seems to me that she more likely than not passes on her dreams. In recent years, I have seen my mom change towards a more positive outlook. She has been allowing herself to be happy in her own life. This past year, my mom bought a new horse, Mudd. He is beautiful and so sweet. unfortunately, because of some family issues, she was unable to keep Mudd at our Grandparents. So, mom had to drive in opposite directions to take care of her two horses. This was taking a tole to say the least. Mom started to dream more & more about finding her own property big enough for a house & a barn to keep her horses on. She really wants to be self sufficient in this way. For quite awhile, she looked at properties and did fall in love with a few places. She came to realize, however, that it was going to be more difficult to afford her dream. At a certain point, she did give up on it. Through this whole time, I kept encouraging her, and told her that I would pray about it. Those of you who know me well, know how hard it is for me to even say that to people, say anything spiritual. But, I am trying. Mom is respectful of my spiritual views, but does not believe God has good things for her. This is my perception, just to be clear. Anyway, I told mom that I believed that something good was going to happen whether that means that she is suppose to buy her property or something else was going to happen, and that I would keep praying. I encouraged her to not give up, but I didn't know what she would do after this conversation. Well, she called me this week with some news. She made a bid for a property & it was accepted!!!! Now, it isn't perfect. Mom had to re-evaluate what she was looking for. She settled on 6 acres of land with a run down trailer & a shed. Clearly it is going to take some work, but mom's got it all worked out. Her plan is to put a barn on the property and fix the fencing. Also to fix up the trailer to make it livable before she sells her house and moves in. Then she is going to sell the trailer as she is building her house. She has it all worked out, and I think she is very smart about it all! The power of prayer!!!!!!!

7 comments:

carey said...

As you know, God doesn't always answer prayers the way we think He will. I am happy for your mom, and hope that is happy, too. We both know where she will find TRUE happiness, and I hope she gets there too. Love you!!

bobbione8y said...

hey Chris,

you are just so strong to actually tell your mom you are praying for her. i need to come out and tell my folks that, and every time i go home, i kind of chicken out. my parents think being a christian is just crazy, and have asked me NOT to talk about it...what they don't know is that i pray anyway, and that is way more powerful :))

i pray your mom will experience the goodness of the Lord in her new home!!

Brook said...

Hey sis,
thanks for the kind words. Love you, and will miss you for Turkey day.

Chris said...

Thanks everyone for your support! I am really learning from Carey, or least trying to. Brook, you should just know how much I love you & want the best for you. I miss you too!!

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny Stromer-Galley said...

Chris,

Such wonderful news about your Mom. She so deserves to have her dreams, and I makes me so happy to hear that she has found the strength to pursue them. The power of prayer indeed!

Love ya.
~Jenny

Karen said...

I second Carey's comment! I pray for BOTH of your moms to find the peace that passes understanding. I love love love to see what God is doing in you through your prayers for other people!