Monday, May 28, 2007


The big day is looming!
I leave tomorrow for SD. The first couple of days will be pretty noneventful, but starting Thursday night, the fun begins. I have had a pretty good sense of humor about all that is about to happen. I felt my first slight panic today actually. I prayed though, and God said I'm ready. Weird. I haven't seen the Dad in 14 years. 14 years. And by all accounts, he hasn't changed. My mom said when she saw him at my brother's graduation, he gave her an impromptu hug. He was lively, and sugary sweet. Make no mistake, it's all an act. His name is Milt, and that is what I call him. My brother's Fiance even told me that Milt told his wife that she needed to take a back seat to him during Brook's Wedding, because he was going to have all the attention. I guess his wife told Allyson this! She is another story apparently. Let me tell you all this loud and clear. THERE WILL BE NO HUGGING WITH MILT! Ok, I feel better. I know God will have a hold on me. I know I am to be calm and gracious. I will do nothing to ruin my brother's day. I will not, however, pretend that I have a relationship with Milt. Hence the NO HUGGING clause from earlier. I will treat him like an acquaintance I haven't seen in years. Nothing more.
So, the events will go like this:
Thursday Night: Bachelorette party. Judy, Milt's wife, will be there. The story on her is she is a meddler. She should be interesting. I predict that she will be talking Milt up, and pushing for a reconciliation. High school word- NOT! At my brother's graduation, Judy kept trying to help my gramma walk. Those of you that know my gramma, know that is a big no no. Judy is on my gramma's list. Did I mention gramma is coming also?:)
Friday Night: Rehearsal Dinner. This is an event put on by Milt and Judy. It was suppose to be at their house, but thankfully Brook talked them into having it at a neutral location. Judy picked the Governor's Mansion. Apparently a ritzy new place. It actually use to be the current Governor's house relocated to RC. This should show off their money. But I get to wear my very cool new Terra Verde dress! Did I mention Milt is in the wedding? Yeah, he's in the wedding.
Saturday Night: Wedding Day. This should be great except for the fact that uh...Milt's in the wedding. He was suppose to be the Best Man, but was demoted. My grampa is now the Best Man. Did I mention that Brook and Milt are currently not speaking? AND HE IS IN THE WEDDING! Then there is the reception. This is at The Elk Creek Steakhouse and Lounge. There will be drinking. Milt, an alcoholic, will be drinking. Allyson's dad, an alcoholic, will be drinking. They don't like each other. You do the math.
I love my brother. He is marrying the best girl. I truly want this day to be about them. I am writing these fears, so hopefully they won't happen. And if they do, I can laugh about it. God is with me, that is all I need. Let's just hope I can make a million dollars off the video I am going to shoot!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Crap, I'll be your first buyer for the video! I wish I could go and stand by you, make you laugh, and keep you from doing a flying choke-hold on the Miltster... I WILL be praying, and as always, available by cell phone. I love you man, you'll do great!

bobbione8y said...

oh dang. that was quite a scene you painted in this post.

well. milt or no, let's give these days to God. heck, maybe we can even give milt to God!

but what i am praying for, is that you will feel stunningly beautiful in your new dress and enjoy watching your brother get married, will not have too many milt drive-bys, and will feel good, not bad, about the ones you do have.

it's good to put all those fears out there. God can take em on, He really can. i will pray also :))

Chris said...

Well, phase one is done. I survived the Bach. party. I met Milt's wife. She did hug me, I couldn't dodge her! Today, I will be around Milt, phase 2. Update: Milt is the best man still, I was wrong about that. Tnak you guys for your supportive words. God is in control here!

Susan said...

How did it go? I was thinking about you too!

bobbione8y said...

waiting for a "post" post too!

hope you had a wonderful time.