Saturday, June 21, 2008


Just when things start settling down, another turn on the roller coaster happens. Just after I moved into my swanky new office, my boss announces that they will be opening up another ECSE (Special Ed) position! That kind of rocked my world because they also said that you don't have to have your Masters completed to qualify, just working on it. So, here I am happy with my new position, but now find myself faced with yet another big decision. So, I need input from you all. Here are the pros & cons of both jobs:
Pros:
ECSE-
1. Flexibility 2. Summers off 3. No one to supervise 4. work closely with SN's kids, and somewhat with teachers 4. Work with some great people (Therapists) 5. Can work from home often 6. shorter work day 7. Won't have to take work home with me 8. Less paperwork 9. Alot less stress
Supervisor-
1. Status 2. Recognition 3. Swanky Office 4. Get to wear cool clothes 5. Challenges that are interesting 6. People listen to me 7. Bosses hand picked me for this job 8. Work closely with Teachers ( can be a con also) 9. Get Annual Leave time
Cons:
ECSE-
1. A step backwards in a way 2. No office at all 3. Am rusty a bit 4. Not really challenging 5. No status 6. Big caseload
Supervisor-
1. Stressful 2. Play office politics 3. Deal with problem teachers 4. under the microscope with upper management 4. A lot of paperwork and meetings 5. No summers off 6. Long hours 7. 20 teachers under me year round (no drop-off in summer)
I may add more to these lists as I think about them, but you get the idea anyway. I am pulled in both directions right now, so this is why it is a hard decision. Let me know what you think.

9 comments:

K~ said...

Well Chris, I know you don't know me from the Man and the Moon. But I have done the "step down" and LOVED IT! My husband has had many opportunities for the "step up" and has taken a few, but he and I have chosen his happiness over money, which I must say, seems like a dumb choice some times. Rick is happy though in his work. He really likes what he does and does not want to leave the field work, which would happen quickly. I also like being with the people who directly need me. It give me more then money can, I guess. I am also old. I don't know your age. But being almost 41, I have had my day in corporate and have not enjoyed it as much as I do when I am able to directly make a personal difference. Good Luck. This one is a very very tough one. K~

Karen said...

You know, KP was sitting at the table when we talked. I thought her advice was wise, so I'll pass it along. This was in regard to you enjoying the status of your new position. She said, "beware of a situation where your head takes over your heart." She also thought that less stress + less work (10 months) was a no-brainer.

I know it's not that easy, so I would just suggest that you ask God to open the right door and close the wrong door. He's good like that, and then you'll never have to wonder.

cherk said...

Of course when you have a decision on something you get thrown a curve. I think you have already done what you need to and looked at the pros and cons. Sometimes getting back to basics and less stress if you can afford it can be a good thing, sometimes doing less and having less on our plate means more time for ourselves or other things we are meant to do.

DeAnn said...

Here's my advice...I was in the same position years ago, making good money but totally unhappy with where I was at. I missed being at home so much. So I decided to give up all the stress and all the time away from family and lose the income to stay home. I'll admit it was hard at first but doors starting opening...and it was all God. He helped me start my business, He guided me on a path where I met awesome friends who amazingly felt the same things I did, I got the opportunities to help others, my self-confidence soared and it wasn't because of status or money. It was just listening to God and to my heart. Your heart will tell you what the best thing is for you. It's not always easy, but when you trust God and where He's leading you, everything else just falls into place. I'll be thinking of you.

Chris said...

I only wish one of them involved more money, I get the same pay. I woke up this morning thinking I knew which one, but as the day went on I sung back and forth again. I am praying.

Karen said...

I am praying, too!!

bobbione8y said...

i will pray too, chris. yesterday i just had lunch with an older friend who is a financial advisor. she just lost her job in a very stressful situation, and is trying to figure out the next step. she cried out to God, literally, in the airport in chicago where she had lost her job....should she look for another job, or try to fight for the one she lost?

not 5 minutes later, a woman at the gate of the airport told her "i think you will make more money from home than you ever made working for somebody else" and THEN not 5 minutes later than THAT, she missed her flight, and as she was frantically trying to somehow get on, she heard the lady say to her FIVE times...

the door is CLOSED. the door is CLOSED. the door is CLOSED. the door is CLOSED. the door is CLOSED.

she went and sat down, asked God if that was Him, and felt incredibly calm. she decided right then and there that God had called her to something new. she is having me make a new "logo" for her, and is starting her own ministry, and leaving her career in finance for good.


Call on Him. until you clearly hear back!!! He will not let it go unanswered!!

Karen said...

Holy cow. That is some good advice.

I think I'm going to call you right now.

Chris said...

Well, I did call on him, and he has been answering me, I just didn't want to believe him. I am keeping the Supervisor job. I have been flopping for days now, but strangely enough, whenever I thought about staying a Supervisor, I felt calm and happy. How can that be when it is the tougher of the jobs?! It did have God closing the door firmly on the Special Ed job. I just can't make it work financially. I really do feel good about things, and have some security until I am ready to venture out on my coffee thing. Thank you all for your heart felt advise and prayers.:)