Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Say goodbye to the only childhood home that counts for me.

This past week was really good for me, and my mom. Even though my mom was sick with Bronchitis the whole week, we worked hard on this house to get it ready for sale. It was good bonding time for my mom and I, and I got to say goodbye to some good childhood memories. The front yard tree, is my tree that we planted when I was pretty little, like 5 or 6 years old I think. Mom worked very hard to make this house as cute as it is now. It has been a labor of love. Plus, it is the house that has been in our family the longest, and really the best childhood memories I think I have had were here. We moved a lot growing up, so this house is special. I lived here when I was 5 or 6 until the 4th grade before moving to Rapid. Then, after I graduated from high school, mom and Brook moved back to this very house in Spearfish. Mom has lived here every since. But now, it is time for my mom to live out her dream by moving to her own property with her horses. This has been a difficult time for my mom. She has been trying since December to get this house ready for sale while working on her new place. The whole process has been very overwhelming, I know I have mentioned that before. Brook tries to help when he can, although graduating from college is a very important priority right now. She has received help here and there, but it hasn't been enough. I have been getting worried about my mom, because she is a very hard worker and tends to push herself too much when she has a goal. She has been sick too often if you ask me, and attempting to do too much by herself. So, I decided to come home for Spring break to help her out. It was hard work but so rewarding. I was surprised to find out that the day I was due in Spearfish, mom got Bronchitis! So, we took it easy the first day, but you can't keep my mom down when she wants something done. We worked everyday until Thurs. when there happened to be a blizzard! My goal was to get that house done, which we nearly accomplished! All that was left when I went to Rapid was to clear out her shed and replace door knobs. I am glad that mom and I had this time together even though she was sick. And I feel rewarded for all we accomplished. So, goodbye little house. I hope the next people who live in you love you as much as we did.

9 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, man! I am so proud of you! Good work, and I hope some fun times, too.

:-)

bobbione8y said...

oh, that LOOKS like a happy little house, Chris!

i hope you get to visit it sometimes - and i hope you make your own house as happy as your mom made this one...

welcome back, btw :)

carey said...

hey buddy. you did a good thing, helping your mom out like that. the house looks great and i'm sure the new place will too.

now, what are the plans for your own place this summer? i wish i could come help YOU :)

Chris said...

Man, I need the help. The next major project is the back yard when I get my tax money. I'm getting more rocks, a guy to help me spread the rocks, wood chips, stones for a patio extention and a path, and large barrels (spelled wrong?)for plants.Inside, I'm still painting. The office is next. HELP!

Karen said...

So how much does a guy cost?? Didn't know you could just buy one...

bobbione8y said...

oh, i have bought many men for house care.

landscapers, painters, electricians, builders, repairmen, and the now famous Russian tree removal family.

all worth every cent!

K~ said...

That is a very cute house Chris. Thanks for sharing that story. I am sure that was a bitter sweet week. K~

Jenny Stromer-Galley said...

I'm so thrilled to hear that your Mom is going to make her dream come true. She rocks.

And, so do you. You are such a good daughter to come home and help her. I imagine it must have been quite moving to finish up the last tidbits on a house you spent so much of your life in.

I just barely remember the house, visiting you, your mom, and Brook in Spearfish when I was in college maybe? So long ago . . . .

Chris said...

I know, time really moves along doesn't it? Thanks for writing in Jenny! How are you feeling? I do read your blog once in awhile, but I don't comment often, sorry! You are too smart of a cookie!