Sunday, April 27, 2008

My life, a roller-coaster.


My current job position is going away. We have been fighting this with everything we have for it not to happen for a long time now, but it is happening anyway. They will be splitting my job into three positions. Instead of being a Child Development Coordinator, that essentially does a little bit of everything, the positions will be either Supervisor, Mentor-Coach, and Early Childhood Special Educator. Right now there is 8 of us. Only a few of us work 10 months. As it stand now, there will only be one each of these positions that will be Year Round. The majority will be 10 month positions. As you can imagine this effects many of us, would mean a cut in pay for most. If I were to go for the Supervisor position, I would be doing mostly HR stuff, paperwork, handling disputes, chained to the desk, little contact with the classrooms except by phone. As a Mentor-Coach, you would help to train new teachers, or teachers who are struggling. It will be an hourly position, and minimum degree they want is an AA in Early Childhood. That is bottom of the barrel really. The Early Childhood Special Educator (ECSE) is more like I did in Denver, only I wouldn't necessarily be the one organizing and running the IEP meetings. The ECSE is really a therapist who works with the kids on IEP's and consults with their teachers. I could also do screenings, write and update goals, etc. There are 4 Supervisor positions, 1 Year Round. Also 4 Mentor-Coaches, one Year Round. And 3 ECSE's, one Year Round and already guaranteed to one person. The part that really sucks is, we all have to apply for what we want and re-interview. This wouldn't be so bad except that they are opening it up agency wide. We were first told earlier on that we would interview, get first dibs so to speak, then open it up to the agency. Now we really have to compete for a job, and are not guaranteed a position. I have been exploring the opening my coffee shop thing, but when I attended a workshop, it was clear this could take a year to two years to get off the ground. I need a job in the mean time. I really am trying not to freak out, but I lose that battle every so often. I hate not being in control. I think if I could choose the job I would most want out of the three, I would go for the ECSE job, knowing that I will have to work 10 months. Supervising is hard most of the time because you are dealing with complaints and conflicts most of the time, plus you have to be good at playing the Politics Game, something I hate. Doing ECSE is being able to go into the classroom with only that hat on, work with kids and talk to the teachers about what they are doing with these kids. I can work collaboratively with the teachers instead of dealing with all that's crappy with their jobs. Mentor-Coach would be fun, but not as secure of a job position. It would be the easiest to get rid of if they needed to. I would also not be able to live on the salary they would pay. Anyway, all this is scary. I feel that I am at a crossroads. Is it time to move home? Is there anything there for me job wise? I am looking here in the Springs, RC & Sheridan. I am also setting up a meeting with Business Counselors about my business plans. I am really praying that God opens the right doors soon, and firmly closes the ones that need to be. I have a had a lot to say this weekend, haven't I?!

4 comments:

cherk said...

Oh Chris- I am sorry to hear about the job challenges. I would love to say come out here there is something but our district is currently in a hiring freeze-except for special ed which I know there are none of those open in early childhood. On the competing for a job side. You have been successful at what you do and need to believe in yourself to apply for the one you want and have belief in your abilities and skills. I know it is scary to think about going into the job market and the whole process-don't be intimidated and put your best foot forward because I KNOW you CAN and WILL-and keep your business dream alive-2 years of planning is seems long and can also be short

Karen said...

I have a coffee dream thought. Call me.

carey said...

ok. you've been praying about the job thing for a long time, and wondering what to do. i think that if the door closes on you there, it is God telling you that He's opening the door somewhere else and to trust what He's got in mind. i see a change coming, and i don't think it has to be a scary thing. put your faith in God, and trust that He will put you where you need to be.

Chris said...

Well, I think the ECSE job is out of the running. I just found out that I now have to take one more class and a Primary Grades Practicum. This will be good in the long run, my degree will make it possible to work with kids 0-8 years old instead to 5 year olds. I was upset at first, but you are right, a door closed. He knows where I need to be.