Thursday, January 08, 2009






Digby is in his new home as I write this. He got adopted shortly after New Years, but I was able to keep him for a few more days while they completed their classes. I did cry when they first told me it was official. I figured that I would be a wreck for the next several days, but I have been working with God. Those who know me, know my attachment to animals, and that I can go into a deep depression when I lose one. I kept telling myself going into this that I was serving others by giving a deserving dog a home while a Forever Home is located. And that I was helping to give a very special gift to someone else. I also kept telling myself that Digby is not my dog, he is someone elses. That and continually talking to God about this has helped my heart so much. So, All Breed called me Monday, and I worked out a time with the new parents for the drop off to happen this Thursday. I had a few days to really prepare for this, because since I have had him since October, of course I fell in love with the little guy. My grumpy old man turned into a lovey snuggler with a fun attitude. I expected, and prepared myself for the inevitable good cry when I dropped him off, but it still hasn't happened. Digby's new mommy was so happy to see him, and he wanted to explore every inch of their house. He has a little doggy door just for him, and a bed with a canopy on it! He was happy to see her too. I really don't think he knows I am gone. I didn't cry in the car, and I am not crying now. I feel both happy for him and them, and also feel a lump in my stomach. We are going to miss him so much. But I am so glad I did this. It really feels good to have done something like this for someone other than me. I know I will let myself cry at some point, I wouldn't be me if I didn't. But for the moment, and thank you God for wine, I am ok. Bye Digby, we love you, and hope to run into you at the dog park.







5 comments:

Karen said...

You did good, Chris. I'm proud of you.

Did they like his new haircut??

Chris said...

Yeah she did. I laughed that it took them 3 hours!

bobbione8y said...

strom, this is such a good post. i am so glad you got to see the new home and happy place - a canopy bed!!

thanks for sharing digby with us too :) you are good.

cherk said...

I totally admire what you did, and just think-all of your love for Digby made it possible for him to find a family who needs him to

DeAnn said...

I love the pictures! I think it's awesome what you did. I'm proud of ya too!