Saturday, September 05, 2009

Hard Choices, big scary decisions:

I need your opinion. Work is again raising it's ugly ugly head. I'll give you a brief description then ask you to weigh in on the 2 directions I need to consider.

You all know from previous posts about work in the last couple of years that the culture has been moving away from being a family business to a something more like a cold corporate hostile environment. Last year my department was the target with the major restructuring that happened and many people feared would lose their jobs. It was a very painful process. This year the targets are other departments mainly, but HR is again flexing their power over everyone. One lady who has been with us for many years was given 3 choices yesterday. 1) Be fired. 2) Resign 3) or be demoted. As humiliating as that was, she chose to be demoted because she needs a job. She has never been under disciplinary action n the past, so...... Another very sweet nurse, also been with us for years, was written up this week with a series of several stupid silly offenses that went back to 2005! One example is she was 6 minutes late for a meeting once. The write up was clearly designed to push her out, and if she didn't go all she had to do is breath wrong, and she would be fired. She chose to retire early. Many staff, including me received write ups (serious ones) because we missed a deadline in getting a web based training completed. The training deadline was in the middle of our major training week, and classrooms had only a few days to set up their classrooms. As for me, I was DOING trainings, orienting new people, trying to get new Supervisors set, starting a new program.......We all know we screwed up by missing the deadline. I expect to be held accountable, as well as to hold my staff accountable, but the punishment in this case is very drastic and does not fit the offense. I wanted to talk with my staff, establish with them that they needed to get it done, set a date that it must be done, and document it. The next step if it was still not done is an informal write up with another deadline, and a strong message that the next time there will be a formal write up. This was not a safety issue, it does not warrant an immediate formal write up. HR wants to send a message. A message of fear in my opinion. By doing this, really what they are doing is sending a message that you can be written up and possibly terminated for any offense. So...... these are my 2 recourses as I see it. Regardless, it is time to go:
1) I resign and walk away. In resigning, I can have an exit interview with HR, which will give me the opportunity to explain why I am leaving. Problem with this is I walk away with only my last paycheck, and if HR doesn't want to let anyone know what I said, they will just bury my statement. The good thing is I can use them as a reference (which is, she was employed here at such and such dates) and I don't have the stigma of being fired. I can put my house up for sale, and leave town hoping to get a good job very soon because I will still have a mortgage. I may have to declare bankruptcy.
2) I can take a stand and refuse to have my teachers sign their PIP's (formal write up). One major reason for this is staff may not be eligible for tuition reimbursement with a PIP in their file, this includes me. PIP's never leave your file, and if HR ever wants a reason to get rid of you quickly, they already have a PIP in your file to use against you. By me refusing to sign mine or letting my teachers sign theirs, I will be seen as adversarial. Most likely I will have set myself up to be fired. The good thing about that is I am eligible for unemployment benefits, I may have a clause in my home insurance that if fired they will pay my mortgage for a time buying me time. I am looking into the insurance thing now. The bad thing(s) is I will have a very ugly battle of wills with a man who hates women with a passion. He will do everything in his power to humiliate me. Plus the fact that I was fired from an organization, respected in the state of Colorado, that I have been with for nearly 10 years. But I may have time to get my house on the market, move and get a job before I have to start paying the mortgage again.

I think my plan is to live with my mom, and find a job in RC. I am looking at selling everything, which kills me and that is very hard to explain to you all because it is just stuff. I have my 3 dogs to worry about, it is not an option to give them away, they are my family. I hate this feeling of utterly no security, but I also think God has been pushing me to go here. Complete and total surrender. The last piece of the puzzle, and the most painful for me. I think about Bobby's post about being totally obedient to God, and can I do it? Advise and prayers please.

11 comments:

Karen said...

Trevor wants to know who HR works for. They have to report to someone, right?

Chris said...

Our CEO Noreen is in favor of how he does things.

Chris said...

That is who he reports to....

bobbione8y said...

wow - those are your two choices?

i will pray Chris, i am not smart enough to know what else to say!! just remember that He is in control, and He will help you no matter what the next step is.

Karen said...

Do you really, truly need them as a reference? Would your current boss provide a better reference?

Chris said...

I do not need the organizations reference. The only thing they are aloud to do is say I worked there, however if they wanted to stick to me they could say I am not eligible for rehire. I wouldn't use them regardless. My old boss, Linda I know would write me a reference. I am sure my current boss would also. I also have many people that I respect there that would write me reference if I needed it. Bobby, thank you for the prayers. I need it!

Karen said...

I'm praying, too!

bobbione8y said...

yep, God knows that you are a good worker...He will make your way!

i am praying for the BEST possible scenario! maybe choice 3!

:)

Chris said...

Would like to know what choice 3 would be.

carey said...

chris, i think that everything happens for a reason. you have been wanting to go back home for a long time now and maybe this is where it's leading. i think that you should try to do the right thing--and pray hard--before you do anything. perhaps you take some vacation time here, go to rapid and look for work, get your house on the market, look at your options and THEN make your move. can you tell them you need a week off immediately????

Chris said...

Carey, yeah I could do that, but the issue sort of is if I wait to resign, then I have no help to fall back on, plus I have to have all the PIP's in by this Thurs. I either do what you are saying, and resign later, or do what I think is right by refusing to sign and turn in the PIP's which most likely will get me fired. But I would get money. I don't know. My mom told me about a data entry job coming up in one of her banks, but they aren't posting it until next week. Maybe you are right. Maybe I wait for that to open and apply. But then we will have bent over to HR once again if I don't do something.....but does it really matter.