Sunday, September 30, 2007



Two steps closer.


Saturday, I attended a Members class at my church, Springs Calvary. I really feel that it is time to get up and start walking towards what I want, instead of doing what I usually do which is wait for something to happen, then wonder why nothing did. The structure of the church is very laid back, and the Pastors really rely on the congregation to make things happen. It's sort of a church for and by the people kind of thing. The pastors help to connect, but it is up to us to initiate what we want. Something, you know, is hard for me to do. I do feel led to keep walking outside my comfort level, and in order to have the Christian family I want, I am going to have to make myself a part of things. This is when I really wish I had Karen's gift of making friends and connecting to people. Not my strong suit. So, first step is the first Members class, there is another one next Saturday. Last week, I tried to find small group postings on the website, because there are none posted in the bulletins, and there are none listed in the website either. I found out from the members class that this is very much intentional based on what I described to you earlier. They want us to form our relationships and serve where we are called. So, I wasn't sure last week what to do, so I emailed one of the Pastors in hopes he could put me in touch with someone. He wrote back, Pastor Pete, and asked me to find him after church so we could talk in person. I did that today. I had to make myself stay there while he prayed with some other people, and talk to some others. I kept praying, Lord don't let me run, just keep me here. You know all I wanted to do was bolt. When I finally got to talk to him, he remembered my name. He talked to me about a few people he wanted to introduce me to, one is a single girl, the others were a couple who have a small group for people in their 30's and 40's. He explained that they didn't really do much as far as Singles Groups, but this no longer matters to me as much. I have kind of half given up looking for that for now. Right now I just want to get to know people and actually be a contributing member to my church. I use to hate the idea of even being in a Women's Group, but now I am all for it! The people he wanted to introduce me to were gone already, but he did lead me over to a lady, who I had talked to in church today already, and told me that she is another good person to connect with, because she is really involved and knows a lot of people here. She told me that if I had a heart for serving, I should come next Sunday at 9:15. That is when anyone who feels like serving in some way, comes early, they gather together, pray, and everyone decides where they want to serve, or people designate where they want you. It really is laid back like that. It is not at all structured in anyway. She said that is a great time to meet people who are more involved and may be a way to get into some small groups. Ok, so I really feel that I am heading in the right direction here. It felt good. So, pray that I can get my lazy-sleeping-in-lovin butt out of bed early enough next Sunday to make it there by 9:15. You know I am ALWAYS late for church and it starts at 9:45!

6 comments:

carey said...

man, i can picture the whole scene. i wanted to bolt right there with you! but i'm glad you stayed. you know you needed this, and you walked right over your own fear to find it. i am 100% positive that something good will come of this--maybe not what you were expecting, but something good. keep your mind open, and just JUMP OFF THAT CLIFF :))

next sunday, i am CALLING YOU at 7:30 am. we'll have a little pep talk, and send you off to church :)

Chris said...

Sweet! I look forward to the pepin! You know how you just want something so bad, and ya want it now? I am really trying to let things happen at his pace, but I know I can't just sit on my butt either.

bobbione8y said...

omg.... :)

how cool is that, chris!

you are so darn cool to just go emailing a pastor and asking. i think God is actually right in the midst of this, don't you? He has a way of taking the things we don't want to do and making them awesome.

btw, i don't think it's bad to be impatient for a better life. it's just that it has to be God's way, not ours. but He definitely wants us to have all our heart desires.

keep us posted :)

Chris said...

The serman we heard this Sunday is that you can't do anything with out Jesus. I am slowly getting that. God is directly a part of this with out a doubt. Very cool!

Karen said...

Chris. Seriously. This is amazing. GOD is amazing. This is EXACTLY what He had me praying for you, yesterday and today. EXACTLY. I felt like God was telling me that you have to step up and serve, and so I prayed that He would get your butt to church and help you figure out HOW to serve. JUST.EXACTLY.THAT.

He so rocks.

Chris said...

You're right, he does rock, and so do you!:)