Monday, September 17, 2007


Who gets lost in Waldo Canyon?






Give up? ME! Never thought it could happen in the 10 years that I have lived here, that I would get lost on a well traveled trail. A trail that is a loop no less! A trail that many people hike on all the time at any time of day. So, we are hiking along. I have my camel back full of water, I thought. I have Millie's new Dog-pack filled with necessities such as snacks for all of us. I had a big late breakfast, so I was full when we started at noon. At the start of the trail, we ran into lots of people. Then not long after I turned onto the loop, we ran into one person. In hindsight, this was pretty strange because of all the cars that were in the parking lot and people we saw at first. But I guess I thought maybe most people were starting off in the opposite direction, and I would run into people eventually. After that initial hiker, I saw no one. We hiked what seemed forever, when I looked around at the scenery and thought to myself that everything looked a little different than what I remember. It had been a few years since I hiked here. Then after a while later, and by the way I am out of water and have eaten most of the snacks, I saw roofs. Yes, houses. Those of you who have been to Waldo know that there are no houses that close to the trail. Before I knew it, we were in a neighborhood. I was really upset now, because my inkling that I was perhaps lost was becoming real. I walked around the neighborhood for a bit, looked around at the mountains trying to get my barrings, but I couldn't figure out where I was exactly. Was I in Manitou Springs, which is further west from where I started, or in Green Mountain Falls which is further east. By this time I was pretty frustrated. I couldn't figure out what I did, except that there were two paths a ways back and Rooby had gone one way, but I decided to go another. I prayed, but it was a slightly angry prayer because I was in this situation by myself. I was also determined to figure out what I had done. I was not going to ask anyone for help. I decided to double back and take Rooby's path from a while ago. I did that, still very upset. I was crying somewhat and talking to God about why.....do I get myself in these situations that become obvious yet again that I am here alone. I was also freaked out that I could get lost here! No one knew where I was. I had a cell phone, and there were houses so I knew I wasn't going to die or anything, it's just the fact that I was lost. While this pity party was going on in my head, I suddenly realized that I had been in a complete circle and back at the same neighborhood I was in before! I couldn't believe it! It was well after 5pm at this point. I wasn't feeling well because I didn't have food in my tummy and no water. My dogs were hot and wanted water, especially Millie who was carrying the pack. We were pooped. I was quietly sobbing, and decided I needed to find out where I was. I wasn't going to ask for help, I had given it to God reluctantly. I am not sure I was really giving up control though. Walking down a street, I saw a woman standing outside a Bed & Breakfast House. She was looking right at me, and did not look away. I tried to avoid her stare and stop crying, but she kept looking at me. I had sun glasses on, so I didn't think she could see that I was crying. But when I came up on her, she stopped me and asked me if I was ok. It was clear that I wasn't, embarrassed, I told her what happened. She told me I was in Cascade, not as far east as Green Mountain Falls, but east of where I had started. Karen, I was all the way up by the Colorado Wines Restaurant we like! She and her family gave me a water, some for my dogs too, and gave me a ride to my car! And in the course of us talking, she let it be known that she is a believer. Here I thought God had left me alone yet again, and he was no where to be found because I can't feel him! But really he was there the whole time. He took me back to that neighborhood even though I stubbornly tried to leave it and find my own way. He put someone in my path, someone in his family, to help me. I was not alone for the hundredth time! I am saying that to myself, you all know my issues. Needless to say, Millie & I were not feeling well for the rest of the night, and Rooby's feet and legs were sore. It has taken me a few days to digest all this and figure out how I feel. I wish I didn't always feel so angry with God all the time. Life is not how I want it at the moment. I just need to realize that he is there with me through it all whether I feel him or not, he's there.

7 comments:

bobbione8y said...

let's just think about it for a sec, Chris!

the GOD OF THE UNIVERSE helped you get out of your situation!! aaaaaagggggghhh! that is amazing! and cool! He's a busy Guy you know, but He wanted to hang with you and the dogs!!!

that is an amazing story....i know you are not necessarily feeling the full strength of it yet, but i believe in time, you will. He is bringing you along to that point...

ps. remind me never to go hiking with you, i cannot find my car in the walmart parking lot, so we would be in BIG trouble :)

glad you are back and blogging.

Chris said...

Thanks Bobbi! Yeah, the whole thing is sinking in more and more now. It is pretty cool, that as stubborn as I am, he still hangs in there for me. I hope I can get further with this and stop blaming him first, but listen to him more.

carey said...

chris, i am wondering if this woman wasn't in your path for a reason. maybe if you stopped by with a thank you, it could open the door to something...a new friend, who knows? you could even put yourself out there and invite her to coffee...

i bet karen would :)

Chris said...

Except she was only there for a wedding, then going back to Louisiana. I do believe she was there for a reason. I really feel that God was trying to show me that I am a part of his Christian family. I'm not alone.

carey said...

ah, yes. good perspective. you know it's God when a bad situation turns into a positive life lesson.

i also remember being lost in the woods once with bobbi. we ended up at this church camp...

funny, now that i think about it.

bobbione8y said...

oh, that is right!

funny that Carey and i were not at a point soft enough to hear God's voice yet at that time.

i'm glad that YOU were though Chris :) also glad you made it through the scary part.

Chris said...

Something tells me I want to know more about this lost church camp story!