Saturday, February 02, 2008

New Years Resolutions Update




I wanted to put in a quick link to my previous post so you could refer back, but I can't figure out how you do that. Karen, you did this once, can you help me out? Anyway, I thought it has been a month, and in order for me to stick to my resolutions, rather than dump them by now, I have to do regular updates. More for me than you though, sorry!:)
Resolution #1: Lose 10 pounds

Well, this may not be very accurate I am afraid. For years I have avoided getting on a scale by principal. Scales discourage me. So, it is not a habit. I have had to remind myself, so I have only gotten on it twice in a month. I really don't know what I weighed for sure Jan. 1. But from the first time I weighed in and this last Friday, I lost 1 pound! I am choosing to celebrate this, because for some reason, even though I don't have a lot to lose, it is extremely difficult for me to lose period. Even when I had a personal trainer and ran! So, this is a victory for me! I have been really good at keeping a consistent work out schedule. I have only missed one scheduled day in a month. Pretty good for me! I am walking with doggies, switching up hand weights and yoga and pilates. I have been doing pretty good with portion control, allowing myself to slip on that once in a while. Snacks have been hard for me. Mainly because days I am out in the classrooms, I can't bring in my own food, so that means no snacks. I started out with carrots, nuts, and fruit. The fruit eating part continues to me a big challenge for me. When did I start not wanting to eat fruit?! Apples rotting in my fridge as we speak.

Resolution #2: Giving up Control to God

This is has been up and down for me, but mostly up. God is really working on me. Life at work is VERY stressful right now, and I am not feeling job security for a number of reasons. But he keeps reminding me that he is in control, and you know what? I am not freaking out nearly as much as I usually would be. I feel ok about whatever the future brings for the most part. He has always seen me through. Not to say I don't have a few moments though. I am working on some new ways to make a living until I can realize my dream, and I have to put myself firmly in his hands everyday.
Resolution #3: Make new friends

This has been a slow progression, but I am moving forward here. I joined the Easter Choir at church, and have met a couple different people even though we haven't had a rehearsal yet. This Sunday we will. I have been going to a Wed. Bible Study, and will go to the once a month Women's Group this coming Thurs. night. I do have to work on skipping out of church as soon as it is over, instead of sticking around and try and talk to someone. I have also been more open to different situations, like when I met my friend at the bowling alley last weekend. I met her husband's bowling league wives. They were mostly Airforce Wives, and they turned out to be great. They even want to set me up with someone. :)Resolution #4: Coffee Dream

This one sadly, has taken a back seat for the time being. I have been running into some difficult financial issues, and I have had to re-evaluate my life, expenses, etc. I am working on a new venture, which I will share in a blog soon. But until I get my feet planeted more firmly, I just can't move forward with it yet. I have gotten applications at a few places, but they really aren't hiring right now anyway. This is their slow season.

Resolution # 5: Keep in contact with old friends.

I really am working on this one. Too often, I get caught up in my own little world and things I have to do, so calling people gets put on the back burner. But I have connected with a couple friends in the last month, one I hadn't talked to in quite a while. That was fun. I will keep this one close to my heart though, and not let it go. I do hope that some of those friends will call me too though. I tend to get discouraged when it is me doing the calling. I am working on that one too.

So, really I am doing well here I think. There have been a few moments when I have wanted to ditch my resolutions, especially the working out one, but the thought of writng you my progress kept me going.


























7 comments:

Karen said...

You're doing so great! I am proud of you, you know that. I think the hard thing about changes in our lives is that they are not immediate and they require such a continued effort. I personally am longing for the days when I could think, "Oh, I want to be thinner," and it would magically happen. I've been working out soooo hard and have only dropped two pounds in two weeks....and then I went out for Thai food last night and totally blew it. Anyway, we've got to keep going, right?

Your resolutions are all God Things, so you can rest in that. I know he's got exciting things planned for you, and by giving everything over to Him, you'll just speed up the process. :-)

..and yeah. Road trip didn't happen. Will explain later.

Chris said...

Thanks Karen! I need the encouragement. I too remember those days of saying I wanted to be thinner and it would just happen! Sigh.............

Karen said...

Call me and I'll walk you through the process for creating a link to an old post. Easier to tell than to write.

carey said...

you are doing VERY WELL. making a serious commitment to changing the things you want to change, i am proud of you.

i'm curious to hear your new revenue plan...???

is this one of those times when your old friend needs to pick up the phone? :)

Chris said...

Carey, you can pick up the phone and call me ANY time!:) I will post about it soon, when I have a little time. It's not something I need advertizing for, so not the coffee dream yet. Stay tuned!

cherk said...

We as a society are slaves to instant gratification-unfortunately our bodies, bank accounts and emotions don't always want to play. What counts are the baby steps, the fortitude and the willingness to recognize a change needs and is being made. The whole weight thing, throw away the scale! Get a tape measure or an old pair of pants are they looser-even just a little bit? Then yahoo for you. Better yet can you exercise longer, do more pushups, sit ups or what ever you want and feel the STRENGTH surge through you-numbers sometimes mean nothing!

DeAnn said...

WAY TO GO, CHRIS! I love your commitment to your dreams and goals. Keep it up and keep us posted.