Sunday, September 14, 2008

It's a cold Fall-like day out there right now, so this is perfect for today. I made this last week in my beloved crockpot. It's called Caribbean Sweet Potato and Bean Stew. It is perfect for fall with the sweet potatoes and the jerk spices. Hope you try it, it is very different from any stew I have ever had. And beware, there is a little kick to it!



Ingredients:

2 med. sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled (or not in my case) and cut into 1-inch cubes

2 cups frozen cut green beans

1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (14 1/2 oz) vegetable broth

1 small onion, sliced

2 tsp Caribbean jerk seasoning

1/2 tsp dried thyme

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted


* To toast almonds, spread in single layer on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. (or in my case I bought a can of toasted almonds and just sliced them)


Combine sweet potatoes, beans, broth, onion, jerk seasoning, thyme, salt and cinnamon in crockpot. Cover; cook on low 5 to 6 hours or until veges are tender. Adjust seasonings. Serve Almonds on top when ready to eat.

8 comments:

Karen said...

That looks great! I'm going shopping tomorrow, and that will be on the dinner menu this week. Can you get the Jamaican jerk seasoning at the grocery store?

Chris said...

Yes!

Karen said...

Is this enough for my fam, or should I double it??

DeAnn said...

YUMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

Chris said...

Judging from the way Gabe eats, I would double it.:)-

Karen said...

I can't find the #!%*!! seasoning!!

Karen said...

Found it. Doubled it. Will call you with results tonight.

:-)

Chris said...

Well?? Was it any good?